The M.Sc programme is carried out in two major fields of specialization, viz.
- Applied Geology
The Mineral Exploration Course also has two options:
- Industrial Mineral Exploration
- Metalliferous/Ore Mineral Exploration
The Geology Course includes the following:
- Igneous/Metamorphic Petrology
- Structural Geology
- As has been the case in the past, a particular area of specialization will only be offered in a particular session if the
required staff and facilities are available.
- For each area of specialization there shall be a minimum of 32 credit units of required course work, comprising of the following:
- General Compulsory Courses in Management and Entrepreneurship, and ICT and Research Methodology;
- Core Courses for All the areas of specialization; and
- Elective Courses for each of the specialization
- Candidates will be free to register for cognate electives offered by both the Department of Geology and other Departments within
Ahmadu Bello University (provided they possess the necessary pre-requisites) in consultation with the Departmental Postgraduate
Coordinator and the staff running those courses. These optional courses need not necessarily be passed in order to meet the
requirements for the award of M.Sc. Geology.
- Candidates who have not passed the following relevant undergraduate courses (or their equivalents) will be required to register
them and obtain a minimum score of 40%. The courses are: STAT101 (Introduction to Statistics); STAT261 (Elements of Statistics);
COSC 101 (Programming in Basic); and COSC 202 (Introduction to Computer Science and Fortran Programming).
- Course work a minimum of 40 credit units will occupy the first year of study. The second year of study will comprise work of
10 credit units on the research seminar and thesis. This will be approved by a Board of Examiners, including two Internal Examiners
and an External Examiner.
- The M.Sc. programme will only be offered on a full-time basis, but conversion to a part-time basis may be permitted after
successful completion of all course work. The required course work for each of the areas of specialization will be as shown below.